ICC’s Early Childhood Program
The first step on your child’s singing journey with the ICC.
For ages 18 mos - kindergarten
The goal of the Early Childhood Program is to enable all participants to reach their full potential in singing, vocabulary, and movement skills, with an emphasis on developing sensitivity to the expressive qualities in music. Each class is designed to be playful and enjoyable to children, while providing a carefully planned curriculum that includes developmentally appropriate activities. Children are not taught formally about the specifics of music, but rather they play with music through a series of eight well-rounded activities based on the First Steps in Music curriculum.
The Indianapolis Children’s Choir offers Early Childhood music classes to children ages 18 months to 5 years old, including those in Kindergarten. These classes take place in preschools throughout the Indianapolis area, as well as in classes open to all children from Central Indiana on the campus of Butler University and other Regional locations. Through the 8 basic activities included in classes based on the First Steps in Music curriculum, children and their parents/teachers experience singing, creative movement, simple instruments, fingerplays and more with the help of the rich collection of traditional songs and rhymes from past generations.
Parents/Guardians attend class to support their child.
Join us from anywhere for the 2021 Virtual Early Childhood Music Class – Nursery Rhymes and Animals!
Preschoolers and their caregivers will complete online, interactive music activities through a virtual classroom. They will learn songs and games to play at home, as well as interact online weekly with the kindergarten Foundations Choir singers – the next step in your child’s ICC journey.
Spring Semester Focus: Nursery Rhymes and Animals!
- Preschool-aged children, 3 – 5 years old (your child may turn 3 years old during the course of the class)
- 8-week session from March 25-May 6 and includes:
- An informal online “performance” for family and friends on May 6 during class
- A weekly lesson available online where you can work together as a family at your own pace
- Online live session occurs on Thursdays from 5:20-5:40 pm during our Foundations Choir for kindergartners. Connect and learn from our older peers as we play and sing together online!
- Tuition is $125 and you will receive log-in information for the virtual classroom and details upon registration
Activities based on First Steps in Music:
- Pitch exploration (vocal warm-ups)
- Song fragments
- Simple Songs
- Arioso (Child-centered tunes)
- Song Tales
- Movement exploration (movement warm-ups)
- Movement for form and expression
- Movement with the beat